OK, so Robbie Burns day is fast approaching. I wanted to make flapjacks to celebrate. But I am trying to cut back on my carbs. So instead, I will just blog about them.
I was so lucky to get to visit London while Greg and Wyona were living there. One of the things I discovered that I fell in love with were flapjacks. Now in Canada we think of flapjacks as just another word for pancakes. Not so in the UK.
Flapjacks are basically an oatmeal bar, and oh, so good.
150g of butter or margarine
100-150g light brown sugar
2 tablespoon of golden syrup
(some recipes call for up to 1/4 cup of golden syrup)
350g of porridge oats
1. Put the butter or margarine, sugar and golden syrup into a saucepan and stir over a low heat until the fat and sugar have melted.
2. Add the porridge oats and blend thoroughly.
3. Press into a well greased 18cm square sandwich tin.
4. Bake in the centre of a moderate oven at 180c or 350f or gas mark 4 for 30-40 minutes or until evenly golden brown.
5. Mark into fingers whilst warm.
6. Allow to become almost cold in the tin before removing.