Thursday 14 June 2018

Guatamalan Refried Beans from Jessica Asch

For dried beans
1 cup dried beans 50 minutes in instant pot.
Use some chicken broth.
About 3 parts water to one part beans.
1 bay leaf

Or used canned beans
1 cup beans (one tin).  Rinse so you wash the salt off.

Refry one medium onion until it is black.  It really has to be burned.

At the end put in a bit of garlic.

Then blend to an emulsion.  Then blend with beans.

Gently warm and eat as a dip with chips.

Note after speaking with Jessica today.  She makes hers with the first method, using the dried beans and the pressure cooker part of her instant pot.  There is still some water left in the beans when they are fully cooked after about 50 minutes or so.  When I use the canned beans, of course I rinse them off so there is no liquid in with my beans.  I have to add some when I blend mine.  She has to reduce her mixture after it is blended, a bit more in the frying pan.  I also asked if she pulsed the beans so much that no black skins were showing.  She said yes.  I didn't pulse mine that much.  I should have.  Still, ours tasted good and we have done this 2 times.  Well, I have done it.  Once with just one can of beans, and the second time with 2 cans of beans, 2 onions, etc.

No comments :

Post a Comment