Friday 30 December 2016

South Indian Coconut Rice

I picked this recipe up from Pintrest who got it from the New York Times.  What caught my eye was something in the article that said never throw out cooked rice. Make something interesting like this recipe.  I am going to try it, the next time I have left-over rice.  The one thing I don't have available in my kitchen is curry leaves.  The next time I am at Superstore I am going to check out their availability.


South Indian Coconut Rice


Prep time
Cook time
Total time
Author: 
Recipe type: Side Dish
Cuisine: Indian
Serves: 2-3
Ingredients
Instructions
  1. Get all the ingredients ready. Slice the onion and garlic. Coarsely chop the curry leaves. Open the coconut milk.
  2. Heat a wok or large nonstick pan over medium-high heat. When it is hot, add the oil and the chilies. After a minute, add the mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds start spluttering, add the curry leaves and the onions. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onions soften, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for a minute more.
  3. Add the rice to the pan and gently break up any clumps with a spatula or spoon. Cook for a few minutes, stirring only once in a while, to give the rice a nice sear. Add the turmeric and continue cooking, stirring to coat all the rice. Season with salt and pepper.
  4. Add the coconut milk to the pan. Let the coconut milk reduce, stirring to coat all the rice. After a minute or two, remove the rice to a serving bowl. Top with some thinly sliced curry leaves or fresh herbs.

No comments :

Post a Comment