Mexican Tomato Lime Soup
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 6 cups tomato juice
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- juice of 1 large lime (~ 1/4 cup)
- 3 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Tabasco or other hot pepper sauce to taste ---
- 2 cups coarsely crushed tortilla chips
- 1 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
- cilantro leaves, whole or chopped
In a soup pot on low heat, saute the garlic and cumin in the oil for a minute. Be careful not to brown the garlic.
Stir in the tomato juice, fresh tomatoes, lime juice, and cilantro. Bring to a simmer and continue to cook for several minutes. Add Tabasco to taste. Place the tortilla chips in large, shallow soup bowls, and ladle the soup over them.
Top with grated cheese and cilantro.
Note: This soup is also delicious chilled. After adding Tabasco, refrigerate for about 1 1/2 hours or until ready to serve. Top with fresh avocado cubes.